After all that consternation about what I should name my new media RAID, I went with “Mercedes Benz” with one 2tb drive labelled AMG and the other labelled Brabus. I realized I was already using Batman and Robin for editing and shouldn’t change horses so to speak while I’m in the middle of a project. The new drives seem to be working well, but I’ve yet to start using them. When I begin to capture from tape (right now I’m capturing from files on an external HD) I plan to split the audio and video files between Batman and Robin and Mercedes Benz. That should be a good bench test.
The amount of wiring going into this is astonishing. I unplugged everything. I mounted my surge protectors on the wall and now I have achieved a sort of cascading waterfall of spaghetti coming from the surge protectors to the computer and from the computer to the hard drives plugged into it. It’s like a piece of installation art.